Thursday, December 20, 2007

How come I never showed up in the magic mirror?


Romper, bomper, stomper, boo.
Tell me, tell me, tell me do.
Magic mirror, tell me today.
Did all my friends have fun at play?

There’s some deep, gravelly voiced monster in my head repeating that rhyme over and over today. I think he’s just really fond of the lyrical romper bomper part, actually, but he won’t shut up. And as I come across new things to do or complete, he kicks into gear again, growling out another verse.

Because today was a day. I haven’t been feeling incredibly hot lately, thanks to an ovarian cyst, but it hasn’t really slowed me down much. It just left me feeling like I’d been kicked in the right half of my gut about a million times, and that kept me from wanting to do any packing. Lots of folding and bending in packing. So I avoided it.

There was the trip to the tire store, and the car inspection, which both needed done. There were several Christmas presents which needed wrapped, and thankfully I could sit and stay fairly still as I did that. I ran out of those types of chores rapidly though, and it’s down to packing or swapping out tops on the jeep.

Yeah, I’m an idiot, because I went with the top on the jeep thing. My friend Baseball, and his cousin, the Norwegian, came over to help me out. They totally rocked the place too, and made my life a whole lot easier by getting the soft top off the jeep and the hard top on.

If it had just been swapping out tops, that wouldn’t have been so bad. First we had to get it out of the garage though, which required moving large, bulky, heavy items. And about nine different sized coolers. I think my family has an unhealthy obsession with coolers, based on the sheer volume of them found in the garage. After everything was moved, then we had to get the top down from the hooks and pulleys used to hang it from the garage roof. And let me tell you, the jeep manual, which says that two adults can manage the top of the jeep? They lie. There were three of us working on this one and it’s all kinds of heavy.

The top came out of the garage, the squirrel droppings were brushed off of it, and it sat on the driveway while we figured out just how much of the soft top had to be disassembled for safety’s sake. As it turns out, all of it, though I know my big brother will call me and tell me otherwise. But I read the manual. Twice. And so did the Norwegian. We followed directions, for probably the first time ever in my life, and took the soft top off completely. Then it was time to pick the hard top up again, and get it up onto the jeep.

I must say that I looked rather stupid standing underneath the top while the guys were on the sides, but I really was lifting it, despite appearances to the contrary. And that’s about when the Romper Bomper Monster showed up in my head, as I was heave-hoeing everything around.

No comments: