Tuesday, October 21, 2008

It's been a busy few weeks around here. I started this little episode two weeks ago, as we finished up a family weekend, and ended up surrounded by 800 motorcycles here at camp. I didn't get much farther than the vroom, vroom though, when I got a call on my day off telling me that the order from one of our esteemed arts & crafts donors had arrived, and that I had 6 pallets of supplies sitting at maintenance, with a forecast of rain in the coming days.

I have to tell you, six pallets of anything is huge. But it wasn't just those six pallets. I also got tagged to organize a volunteer crew who came to help get ready for the garage sale we had at camp this past weekend. Didn't know about them but that was another 6 pallets of supplies, in a different location. That was the day I was shuttling TV reporters down into camp, too, as a helicopter landed with some NASCAR peeps here to shake some hands. I imagine the list of people who have to hang up on their mom on the phone because of reporters and helicopters are few and far in between when it doesn't involve a natural disaster.

So I had some volunteers for 6 of the 12 pallets. And then I had 2 co-workers who busted their butts with me to get the arts & craft supplies into the craft building. The rest of the team... not so much. Everyone on the team did get together on Friday to help development set up all the stuff I'd previously helped organize for the garage sale fundraiser camp has. I've never seen so many die cast cars, of all sizes, in one place. And then the day of the garage sale, I fielded a million phone calls, like "how does the popcorn machine work?" and "do we have a hot dog costume?"

The machine works by heating up a kettle, to which you dump in corn and oil and let it do it's thing. And no, we don't have a hot dog costume. I can hook you up with a Slim Jim costume, a pizza slice, a milk shake, or an order of fries, but we don't have a hot dog. "Are you sure?" I'm positive. "Hey, how does the popcorn machine work? They just asked me to make some and I don't know how." Turn it on, let it heat up, dump in the seeds, dump in the oil, repeat as needed. "How do we play music in the ... (pick one) dining hall, the bowling alley, the theater or over the jumbo tron?" I'm pretty sure I worked that day, even though I was off.

This week started off calm by comparison. I had a busy Monday, with an unproductive trip to the eye doctor. (They were busy, and people who had appointments after me complained so they got to go first.) I rescheduled. And then a group was coming through from some foundation I've never heard of, for some sort of tour or something, that no one cared to deal with, so it got handed to me.

And that's when angels began to sing and the sun beamed down on me, making up for all the crap I deal with here, on a regular basis. You see, I'm the "go to" person for just about everyone, even though there are people above, below and beside me who should be handling these issues... but they don't, because they can't. So I get crap from all sides to deal with, usually on the fly. And I can deal with it. But. Not my job.

Back to the angels though.... the group that came through wanted to know about what we do here (not an uncommon question). And how we do it. And what they should do. Somewhere in the 3 hours we spent together, I got invited out to learn to ski with them. And I think I got offered a job several times, too. It seems they pay their staff in 1 day what we pay in a week. And they're in the freaking Colorado Rockies!

I'll be brushing off the resume, writing a letter or two, and a strategic plan on how I can benefit their organization. Because the best thing of all is that they are combining care for all my military troops and their families, in addition to kids with special needs. The military side is something I started writing back when I was in Iraq, seeing a need even then. And here it is, landing in my lap again, asking for my help.

I told you the angels sang.

No comments: