Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Oh, so you meant it was 24 months, but you said 12 months...

Stupid, stupid Directv.
Stupid.
The camp is now providing cable tv into my house, because "they didn't know" my house never had it. So that got fixed. After I paid for satellite at about $700 bucks from January until now. Nice timing, camp, really. Nice.
So I call Directv to cancel my service, expecting a fee, because I wasn't doing my 1 year commitment. And then I find out they're telling me that I have a 24 month commitment.
That's when I went ballistic. Because I know that the dude on the phone I talked to way back in January, who had to deal with me after Directv lost my account installation information, told me it was a 12 month commitment. Tweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllveeeeeeeee. Twelve. 1-2. Twelve. And I checked with him.
Yep, still twelve.
So I went for it, and had the installation done.
And now, when I call to cancel, I'm being socked a massive fee because the tweaknuts down there say I have a 24 month commitment.
No way in hell would I have made that commitment, given the fact that I was on a new, low paying, unknown job. I had no idea how long I'd be here, and though I HOPED it would be for years and years, I wasn't betting the farm on that.
But that's okay, because Directv bet the farm for me.
Know what it costs to cancel your service? Twenty bucks a month. That's not much, really. It just means I don't go out to eat twice each month, and then it's paid off. But three hundred dollars at once, to cancel, is really hard to swallow.
And there's a hell of a double standard going on, too, because it IS possible to merge 2 accounts. Say mine and my significant other's, once we get married. No, I'm not getting married. What I'm saying is that the idiots at the satellite company will allow me to merge my account with my spouse's account, but I can't merge my account with my parents' account. What's the difference, really? It's probably some obscure legal technicality along the lines of same sex partnerships, but I don't want to think about that.
All I have to say is that North Carolina has not been kind to me. It's cost me a small fortune to work here at a camp making no money. This can't go on.
And if I ever get my hands on a directv executive, I'll be exacting my three hundred dollars worth of fee out of his hide. More than once, just for good measure.

No comments: