Sunday, January 6, 2008

the dishes?!

Some guys used to live in this house and it shows. Even though the maintenance staff repainted and did a bunch of repairs, and the ultimate roommate ran a vacuum and spruced the place up, you can still tell guys lived here. For instance yesterday, when I opened the dresser drawers in my room, I found about two dozen old, worn, mismatched, clean (I hope) guys socks sitting there. Girls wouldn’t leave stuff like that lying around. Even if we didn’t want it, we’d still throw it out rather than leaving it behind.

There were odds and ends in the bathroom, too, and throughout the rest of the place. The biggest kicker though, is that there is a stack of side dish or dessert sized paper plates about eight inches high in one of the cabinets. And that’s it. There are no other dishes, bowls or whatnot in the place. I’ll rectify that tomorrow. What a pity I hadn’t noticed it before I went to Greensboro yesterday and gave Target way too much of my money. I could have given them a few extra bucks for a festively colored set of heavy plastic dishes that would last for a while.

At least this way, I can consult the Ultimate Roommate and see what color she thinks we should get. She’ll probably go with yellows and oranges, which are on my less favorite end of the color spectrum, given what I’ve seen of her taste so far, but that’s cool. It’s just a bunch of semi-disposable dishes, after all. Because once the season gets going, all I’ll do here in the house is take a shower and fall asleep. The camp kitchens over at the Fuel Stop will be doing all the cooking during the busy times.

But really, the plates? I know there were plates in here six weeks ago because I saw them. Ditto on the sharp knives. So the guys who lived here would take dishes but leave behind the tired socks. I suppose that makes sense, in some sort of whacked out male way.

No comments: