Wednesday, January 9, 2008

They pay me to work here?

So I’ve been at camp for three days now. It doesn’t seem like it, but then again it does. We’ve had a lot of open discussions, here on the program team, and learned a lot about everything. It’s really been great, and time has just flown by, which is tremendous.

There is so much going on here, that is so much bigger than I am. The camp services seriously and terminally ill children, providing a normal summer camp experience for them. We also provide a weekend camping experience for these same categories of kids, and their families, during the non-summer season. So, we do week-long program during the summer, and weekend programming the rest of the year. It’s not an every weekend thing, but it is steady and regular, which is cool.

Right now, being new, I’m learning it all. This weekend there is a family weekend and we’ve got 16 family groups coming to play. I don’t know what it’s all about, but I’ll catch it on the fly. Meanwhile, today we did a tour group of junior high kids, and I went along for the trip, learning a bit along the way. We’ve got amazing facilities, though, and I’m constantly in awe that they think I’m good enough to work here.

No really, I’m not modest. I know I’m talented and have some stuff to add to the program, but the idea that they are going to let me run it just baffles me. I’m in awe of this place. I know you will be too, when you finally get to see pictures of it. I’m working on those pictures, too, but first we had fog, then rain, then other business to take care of, but I’m carting around the camera now, so it’ll happen soon.

No comments: