Sunday, March 15, 2009

Bring it!

Okay, so I bitched and moaned about the Red Cross doing a new rollout of material the other day. The timing of it all sucked, mostly, but late this afternoon I finished up most everything. About all that's left now is for me to finish highlighting the test questions in my copy of the instructor manual, since I think I got my trainer guide all set up.

I even wrote a new lesson plan, because the Red Cross thinks we all teach in perfect little 3 hour blocks of time. Anyone who has ever taught on a pool deck knows that you only get their attention for a couple days though, and you'd better maximize it. So a 3 hour block is a joke. We'll do 3 hours before lunch and 5 after. It's a real pain in the ass to figure out how to cram their pretty little perfect sessions into reality, but I think I did a good job.

And it's like I tell my instructor candidates... a lesson plan is only valid until you walk out on the pool deck.

Or in my case, hobble out on the pool deck with the amazing technicolor toe. I like the spread of purple coming up my foot today. And on the bottom of my foot, too. And no, I didn't kick someone's butt. I got into a disagreement with a seam on the carpet and stumbled into a wooden trunk in my room. It just proves that I have too much crap in this room and should consider taking some of it to storage, but actually, I have too much crap there, too.

So, yeah, tomorrow is the first day of spring break down here. Almost every school district in the Greater Houston area is off at the same time, and it's a great time to run aquatics training. When I started work this winter, we didn't even have a pool to use, since our normal facility is being renovated. Now, we've got 68 people taking classes starting tomorrow.

And those 68 people are making my phone ring off the hook. I figure I'll just give in and take some donuts early tomorrow, so I can make it all happen. Instructors are nervous, the other trainer is in the middle of moving across town so she is frazzled, and I'm not even sure I have a clue what I'm teaching, since all I've done is skim it.

Summer is here. Bring it on!

No comments: